Home » , , , , , , , » Wheeler Pass, Peak 5 And 6

Wheeler Pass, Peak 5 And 6

On the way back from a great family weekend in Breckenridge (one week ago), I went for a run on the Colorado Trail starting at Gold Hill TH.

Since my spring slog, there's been lots of logging to get rid of beetle kill. Trees that were on the trail a few months ago are now cleared, all the way to Wheeler Pass.


And of course I could progress near treeline without postholing through snow. This is near my first water filter fill-up, a few hundred feet below the first ridge:


There was a huge patch of moss near a spring:


Although the bike ride was still in my legs from the prior day, I ran (slowly) most terrain that wasn't steep up until treeline. Then, the trail angles slowly up to the Pass allowing a couple of miles of high-altitude running, with short stretches of hiking:


Because of another outing, I now recognized (L-R) Crystal Peak (which I climbed), Pacific and Drift Peaks near Mayflower Gulch. Pacific in the middle has a notch near the top and sort of a couloir running along the west ridge:


The view up 91 towards Leadville:


Once I was on top of Wheeler Pass I decided to stretch it out a bit and did some ridge traversing. There was not a lot of running to be had over 12,000 feet on rocky tundra, but some. Easy jogging. I summited what looked like the highest points on either side of the pass, and it ended up being Peak 5 and 6.

Then began the fun descent to the Peaks/Miner's junction, and the tough effort back up to Gold Hill and then down to the car.


Distance was 20.34 miles, time 6:40 (moving 4:53), elevation gain/loss 4,800 feet, avg. pace 19:41 (moving 14:24), and best pace 6:59.

Partially powered by a ham and Swiss croissant from Clint's. Recovery by Backcountry Brewery.
Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger