Home » , , » Gear: Altra Lone Peak

Gear: Altra Lone Peak

I've talked about this shoe in passing in some of my posts, and after running in it for a while I thought I owed the shoe a post of its own.

I ran happily in the Brooks Cascadia for several years, but was unhappy with recent variants using "DNA" gel in the sole, which seems harsher to me than the nice soft foam of previous years. Even just walking, I could feel shock waves running right my spine with that sole composition. No thanks.

Then again, since I haven't run on my heels for years, I don't give a rat's about fancy-pants heel composition. This also coincided with my exploration of less traditional shoes and minimalist or "barefoot" options. Hence zero drop. Hence my discovery of Altra and its Lone Peak, which has no heel lift at all. Totally flat. Lovin' it.

My first impression of this shoe was... mmm... neutral (loose fit, stiff sole), but I write that off to unfamiliarity. In short, this shoe has become my new Cascadia, and it's proven itself to be up to the task and has become my new favorite.

The Lone Peak in its natural element

The "loose" fit I think is the result of a thick upper and a wide toe box, and has been utterly un-problematic. I have had zero problems with fit on runs up to 30 miles.

The firm sole is a matter of adjustment, and may have relaxed somewhat with wear. It's not harsh, it's just different from the softer sole on some shoes like the old Cascadia, the Brooks Pure line, and some Saucony models. The sole is plenty protective from rocks (as much as the Cascadia). Of course since my stride has become gentler, soles don't matter as much anyway. I can run in Five Fingers and be pretty comfy.

So, pluses are: substantial but breathable, protective in the sole, great toe protection, which after nearly breaking my toe in some MT110s, is a relief. The big toe box in the Altra line is huge for me, now that I've all but sworn off bullet-shaped lasts and their warping effects on my feet. I wear their Instinct to work every day and love it too.

The sole is rather flat in the arch and has only the support offered by the substantial upper. I worried about plantar fasciitis, but that's a matter of form and stretching the calf muscles more than anything.

The tread pattern works, and is not that much different from the Cascadia (I've run on snowy trails in both shoes).

I should mention as a disclaimer that I'm a trail fitness/tourist/photographer runner, not a racer, and I make no pretense of being a fast. The long, slow run is my modus operandi ;)

However, I do put in some miles and I do run technical terrain quite a bit, and this shoe has proven worthy. I'm glad to have a new go-to trail shoe.

Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger