Home » , » Saturday Breck

Saturday Breck

With only a few weeks left in the season for some ski resorts, spring skiing was the order of the day on Saturday.

I know what to expect this time of year, so I was skeptical of complaints I saw on Breckenridge's Facebook page about how bad conditions were. Isn't that kind of like complaining to the Jolly Green Giant about a drought? Especially since snow levels are less than 60% of normal. Whiners.


I wore a base layer and a light shell, even though it was like being a pot roast in foil at the base. Up high in the wind it was perfect.


Three lifts later I was hiking with my skis on my shoulder to the top of Peak 8, at 12,998 feet. In. Less. Air. I tried the Lake Chutes. I'm not really that great of a skier, but how hard could it really be?


So I dropped to the left of the rope in the photo, and skidded along a 4-foot-wide path above a bit of a drop, then down onto a nice, wide ridge the rest of the way down to the various drop-in points... over cliffs.

And here's where I ended up, with my choice of various 75-degree drops (including right in front of where I am, and off to the right):


Sigh. I clicked out of my skis and hiked back up to the middle rocky area, which was only about 45 degrees. The steeper parts of the Chutes would have to be conquered when I have a bit more skill and courage.

For the second lap I skied the other side, Whale's Tale, which dumps out in the upper left through a break in a moderate cliff band (photo below). It was pretty rocky and I ended up hiking down a bit to get past the chunky parts.


Lotsa dirt on the hills these days (below 6-Chair):


A perfect example was my choice to head off to some bumpy areas on the side of a trail, in which I skied over a bump and grounded out on pure dirt and rock. Of course my upper body kept going, resulting in some of the untidying of the snow you see here:


Afterwards, the base area was packed with spring revelers, and although the music was pretty good, it's not really my scene.

After hitting the bar at Kenosha Steakhouse (small comfy bar, not too crowded, serves Breckenridge Brewery offerings) I did my usual hike up from Carter Park where I once gifted a pair of my ski boots to the local ski bum/thief community (don't buy a black boot bag and dark ski boots if you want to re-arrange your gear in the dark).


Yet again, I got a sunset I should have had to pay admission for.


I also found the other end of the Hermit Placer trail; it drops down off Boreas Pass Road. I'll have to explore these more some time.

A darn good afternoon of skiing soft snow and slush on an amazing spring day.
Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger