Home » , » Santorum

Santorum

I'm not going to go into huge detail on Rick Santorum, except to say I'm glad the GOP will be offering a less Constantinian candidate for president.

Being a free-market advocate, I was generally OK (>50%) with what Santorum appeared to advocate in spite of many contradictions. He seemed to have at least a common-sense level of understanding as to why markets are morally good and worth fighting for. However being an Objectivist (laissez-faire capitalist, generally libertarian) and therefore socially liberal, I found his distaste for church/state separation maddening.

However, the real story in his candidacy is the role of moral conviction.

Santorum was not afraid to say what he thought -- and more than that, what he thought was morally right -- and I think many people respected him for his courage. By contrast, Romney tries to be everything to everyone by never offending anyone or taking a stand (Massachusetts health care -- then running as a Republican? Yikes). Moral conviction and integrity, in spite of his flaws, was one of Santorum's strengths, and people saw that. And that is how he got as far as he did.

Still, I doubt I would have voted for him, even though the alternative is horrible. Such is the voting quandary of the classical liberal.
Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger