Point 13,307?

A couple of weekends ago Sunday, on my second day in the Sangres, I got an early start thinking I'd check out Kit Carson Peak. I didn't know if I'd make it that far, or if I'd have the nerve to do the ascent.

So my thought was I'd drive up one of the worst trailhead roads I've ever seen and save some time on the approach.

High scuff marks

I passed a Jeep that was turning back.

Of course he was a wimp, because there was a Civic at the TH when I got there. But that's just plain nuts. Heck, I have almost 9" of clearance and still I heard a scrape from an embedded boulder on the way up.

The basin below Crestone Peak:


My intent was to follow the Humboldt Peak route and then take a left towards Kit Carson and see how it went.

Crestones from the Humboldt saddle:


West of Humboldt is a harmless-looking ridge that ended up being a morass of narrow crests and shattered rock, which leads to the Crestone/Kit Carson saddle. I underestimated this ridge, which is thin, rugged, and slow going.


I ended up traversing along the north and cliffing out, and having to climb up steep scree and rock to gain the ridge again. There were several sections of narrow (~3 foot) catwalk above steeps. I don't climb so I'm not really used to it, and in a couple of spots I was really feeling the heights.

Here I'm about to descend above a steep scree-filled couloir (out of sight) before cutting back up:


Yep, I ran in those shoes. And I got my complimentary Merrell heel blister even with thick REI hiking socks. WTF. I never get blisters from my running shoes, even after 20-30 miles. Merrells always seem to savage my heels.

Kitty Kat Carson in the middle. Boy, that's a long way:


Bottom line, I saw the writing on the wall and knew I wasn't going to make it in one day and then get back home. Plus I wanted to make it to Amica's before the dinner rush (gotta have your priorities straight). I headed back.

Here's "Point Defeat" or "Point 13,307" or whatever it's called, from below (with several miles left to go to my car):


I ended up offering a Texas hiker a lift to save him from that fate; I've been on enough forest roads at the end of a long day to know how that feels. That hiker had set his sights on Crestone Peak, with no equipment and only hiking shoes. Hmm. For the reason why that's not a good idea, see photo #3.


On the way home I passed the turnoff to Cotapaxi because I was unfamiliar with the route options, and as a result had extra mileage to get to Salida on 50 at its crazy-slow speed limit. That canyon is endless when you're expecting a beer and a #16 calzone at Amica's (ridiculously good, as was the server at the bar). Then it was coffee at Bongo Billy's before I dove into a stream of cars heading back to Denver on 285.

One disadvantage of a two-lane highway is the speeding tailgaters -- i.e. unsupervised adult children -- risking head-on collisions. At least the scenery is good.

Distance was 11.43 miles, time 4:58 (moving 3:25), elevation gain/loss 3,643 feet, avg. pace 26:09 (moving 17:58), and best pace 8:17.

That was an interesting outing as an exploration, and as a sort of acclimatization process for more challenging hikes/climbs. But I need more time on rock.
Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger