Home » , » Chatfield x 2

Chatfield x 2

I ran two laps around Chatfield Reservoir on Sunday. Running around a body of water (or mountain) does a good job of keeping me from short-cutting if I wimp out, and the distance is almost exactly 50k, so that was the plan and it went off without a hitch. It was a new distance PR for for me.

Distance was 31.27 miles, time 6:16 (moving 5:27), elevation gain/loss 1,588 feet, avg. pace 12:02 (moving 10:28).


I hadn't had much luck running long recently, so I was careful to pick a good day and bring a ton of water and enough food. It was sunny all day and pushing 70 at times, but I drank like a fish and there was a nice breeze.


Past photos have emphasized the woods, so this time here's some water. The beach in the photo above was a dead-end running-wise; there was an inlet around to the left and I had to backtrack. The photo below is from the dam on the east side, which has sweeping views:


Below I'm looking back over the seemingly interminable dam. By "interminable" I mean just under two miles:


The second time around a freight train passed with -- had to be -- 150 cars of coal. Long. And only 3 engines were pushing all that; mind-boggling power.

This view is from over near the heron nesting area. The Great White Herons are so big at first I though they were boats, then my mind adjusted once they moved. This little overlook had an empty wine bottle last time I was here. Not a bad idea (except for leaving it there):


Some clouds just don't want to stay in line with the other clouds:


The woods are starting to fill in, yet there are still not a lot of flying insects. Very nice time of year here at the reservoir.


The camping areas in the middle -- and perhaps elsewhere in the park -- now have water flowing (most parks lock the pumps in the winter) so you can fill up. Going clockwise from the south lot, I hit this about mile 11. On the first lap I was able to do 16 miles on two bottles (I drank a lot at the car in between laps), but on the second, warmer, lap I was glad to fill up at the pump.

I filled the water bottles with Succeed! Ultra mix rather than pop a bunch of gels, and it worked well. I ate a PB&J sandwich and drank a bunch in between laps, knowing I'd be out in the hottest sun of the day. I was running easy, so digestion on-the-fly was not a problem.

No gear issues or physical issues other than being really tired and a bit achy.

I managed to keep the same slow but constant pace the entire 30 miles, which I was pretty happy with.
Share :

Test Footer 1

My Zimbio My Ping in TotalPing.com
 
Support : Your Link | Your Link | Your Link
Copyright © 2013. The Gravity Syndrome - All Rights Reserved
Template by Cara Gampang Published by Cargam Template
Proudly powered by Blogger